Sunday, May 17, 2015

Sunday in Kathmandu

I went to the church we normally go to in south Kathmandu ( Patan) , it is held in large school hall/games area. I was amazed to find it was the same as usual, packed with ex-pat and Nepali people ( around 200 I guess) but the whole of the back wall was missing!! They had used  a couple of blue tarpaulins to cover it and carried on with the service. During the service at the normal time for notices to be announced they also gave us the exit strategy from the building in case of earthquake.
Later in the day I called in to the house where Elizabeth and I lived when we were working on the Swiss project back in 2010. The house is still there but the whole of the perimeter wall has also fallen in. Our landlord and his family are OK but I still do not know the fate of our housekeeper, Tara, who lived in a very old house further into the city.

No comments: