Tuesday, May 05, 2015

Preparations for Nepal ..May 2015

I am resurrecting this blog which I have not really used since 2012 but I feel it could be good to keep all of my supporters informed of my work in Nepal after the earthquake in April 2015. 


As you may know I had just got back from a month working in Nepal 10 days before the earthquake occurred . We are devastated by the news, and have many colleagues and friends there affected. The impact of the earthquake on food security and agricultural livelihoods is expected to be very high. Farmers who miss the planting season that is expected to start late May onwards will be unable to harvest rice again until late 2016. This, together with likely losses of food stocks and wheat and maize harvests, would severely limit food supplies and incomes . Some of the country’s most vulnerable agricultural areas, particularly the villages in mountain and hilly regions, bore the brunt of the earthquake.
I have offered to help and have been invited to come out to help with the food security initiative being arranged by United Mission to Nepal ( UMN).


I have to go to Berlin on May 8th-10th  for meetings with a related organisation there, and so plan to be back in Nepal as soon as possible after that ( 15th May ).  I have had a tremendous response from you all when I asked for support to help with the cost of my time and travel in Nepal. The flight has now been booked and I will be leaving on the 14th May to Kathmandu.



No comments: