Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Another big shock

Busy day, getting hotter and hotter now as we are in the pre-monsoon period. The weather will break very soon so all hands to the pump with regard to getting supplies out to the rural areas where landslides have already happened due to the earthquake and they will be made worse when the rain comes.
Having the expected trouble in procurement, in that things like hand hoes, long handle hoes ( kodalo) ploughs etc. have all been lost or broken in the hills. Also many buffalo and cows who could pull the plough have been killed.  There is a limit as to how many tools we can find and so blacksmiths are hard at it to produce more.
During this afternoon I had to go to change quite a few Pound sterling to Nepali rupees for my next weeks expenses. All was well I handed my money over , got a receipt, they calculated the exchange and let me sign the receipt for the rupees to come. I waited while they counted it out.... at which point there was the noise of a huge siren. Earthquake alert! There was the shout of " Ai..yo" meaning it's coming and everyone dropped everything and we all raced from the building to the green area outside. After some minutes the panic subsided, we started to wander back, when I realised I had yet to collect my rupees. Getting back to the counter we picked up where we had left off and I picked up my cash with no problem. It was a good example of the stoic Nepali spirit and honesty. ( It was another 5+ on the Richter , same as last Saturday)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Roger
Just wanted to thank you for providing this info although not sure how you find the time. Keep up the good work!!
Regards
Jill Scrivener BIAC